Rainforest Cascade Necklace
One-day Project Class
Learn about the magic of complementary color combinations while creating the “Rainforest Cascade Necklace” from Margie’s book, The Beader’s Color Palette. This stunning neckpiece is also featured in the June/July ‘08 issue of Beadwork Magazine.
Choosing two complementary colors for the necklace is encouraged, as we’ll be exploring the dynamism of this harmony. However, students can make the necklace in any colors they choose. If you are feeling wild, bring your entire seed bead stash! Kits of various color schemes providing all materials will be available for purchase. Handouts of project instructions are provided.
- 90 gms (total) size 11o seed beads in at least 4 shades of main color (greens in the example)
- 30 gms (total) size 11o seed beads in at least 3 shades of accent color (magenta in the example)
- 5 gms size 14o beads, main color (green)
- 5 gms size 6o and/or 8o beads, main color (green)
- 15 gms size 6o and/or 8o beads, accent color (magenta)
- 24 terminating fringe beads in both colors (dagger and/or teardrop shapes are suggested)
- size 11 looming needle (extra long)
- size 12 beading needle
- Nymo D thread in appropriate colors (green in the example)
- 2 vermeil 4” head pins (we'll cut the tis off) or 8” wire to connect cones
- vermeil cones
- vermeil clasp
- drafting tape
- blunt-end tweezers
Skill level: This is an intermediate class. Students should be comfortable stringing size 11/o seed beads, and doing basic wire work (to finish clasp).